Director of Marketing & Audience Growth
Do you love the mission and ingenuity of public radio and podcasting? If so, check out this unique marketing opening at PRX in Boston, Massachusetts.
Public radio and podcasting are at a moment of tremendous change and promise. PRX is at the epicenter of the audio revolution, bridging broadcast, digital and mobile with a portfolio of exceptional programs.
PRX is building a marketing and audience growth team to drive best-in-class marketing practices on behalf of its portfolio of award-winning, high-quality broadcast, and digital programs and series. The Director of Marketing & Audience Growth reports to the Chief Marketing Officer and will work in partnership with the marketing team on effective initiatives that introduce our content to new listeners and build loyalty with our existing listeners; the core aspect of this position is to identify and grow new audiences and help support PRX’s premiere broadcast programs. These strategies will be implemented by developing a promotion and audience development strategy that will extend the reach and amplification of our content across email, multiple social channels, partnerships, press, SEO and more.
To be successful in this role, you will build and maintain cooperative and consultative relationships between internal teams and external business and producing partners. The vision for this position is one of deep and meaningful collaboration between marketing and analytics teams — with the shared goal of producing campaigns and content that resonates with audiences in the right format and at the right time — and, hence, delivering substantial audience growth. The ideal candidate is someone who is highly analytical, quantitative, nimble, creative and has the ability to think critically and incorporate data and testing into the decision making process. You will use data-driven approaches to optimize the mix of marketing outreach to best leverage PRX and its broadcast and digital programs to drive audience growth and awareness. Part of this approach is understanding how our audiences interact within our distribution channels and turning that insight into opportunities to connect with new listeners. PRX needs candidates who have an entrepreneurial spirit, understanding of public media and podcasts and an eye for strategy.
- Deliver required consumer audiences to ensure broadcast, download and live event success and advertiser and sponsor satisfaction
- Develop broadcast, podcast and audience acquisition strategies for PRX and Radiotopia; manage overall audience development testing strategy -- including funnel optimization, distribution channel mix and headline and image optimization
- Ensure social media strategy developed by VP audience development & engagement is aligned with audience growth strategy
- Apply SEO initiatives and best practices to the content strategy that will strengthen and optimize both website and keyword ranking with the ability to clearly communicate best practices to editorial and product teams
- Work cross-functionally with brand site editors, publishers, product development, and sales & marketing groups to identify opportunities, executive brand initiatives and maximize audience growth
- Participate in ongoing decision-making processes concerning the maintenance and improvement of data integrity
- Apply robust data mining and information gathering techniques to identify and interpret patterns and trends of visitor behavior on the website
- Build a potential audience prototype and strategies to connect them with our diverse content pipeline to most effectively drive audience growth
- Execute cross-platform outreach including email, digital, broadcast, events, and trainings and optimizing outreach mix based on campaign performance
- Provide thought leadership on developing audience growth strategy opportunities for PRX and Radiotopia based on expertise and understanding of industry landscape, trends and competitors
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- BS/BA degree with a concentration in Marketing, Communications and/or Public Relations;
- No less than five years proven experience in audience growth and content strategy.
- Understanding of and appreciation for the public media and podcasting industry and excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent project management skills required.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and able to meet deadlines and pivot as needed.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Experience managing and optimizing audience acquisition campaigns, preferably for an entertainment brand or digital publisher
- Proficiency with industry standard analytics tools (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, etc.) as well as custom platform reporting (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics etc.)
- Advance user of Google spreadsheets and proficiency with other tools including PowerPoint and Keynote
- Ability to present feedback and recommendations to stakeholders across various internal and external teams to influence decision-making
- Ability to advise on editorial content strategies and development of content distribution plans
- Strong analytical thinking with the ability to flex into the creative space
- Previous experience using Analytics tools to create advanced User segmentation
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills
- Experience managing teams
- Deep passion for and work within either the public media and/or podcasting space
This position is based in Boston. PRX employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a 401k retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We're committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.