Do you love the mission and ingenuity of public radio? Are you looking to join a team of dedicated professionals? If so, check out this rare opening at PRX in Minneapolis.
Public radio and podcasting are at a moment of tremendous change and promise. PRX is at the epicenter of the audio revolution, bridging broadcast, digital and mobile with a portfolio of exceptional programs including PRI’s The World, The Takeaway, Reveal, The Moth Radio Hour, This American Life and the Radiotopia podcast network. In the fall of 2018, PRX and PRI (Public Radio International) announced a merger, bringing together two of the biggest public radio platforms.
PRX is looking for a staff accountant to join the finance team. Reporting to the Director of Financial Operations and Reporting, the staff accountant works closely with business units to support financial accounting and reporting and functions for PRI/PRX and related entities.
Success in this role will be measured by:
- Performing general accounting duties in a timely and accurate manner
- Exceptional support for accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Effective collaboration with teammates to prepare budgets and forecasts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Assists in maintaining the accuracy and integrity of company financial records, including the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers and other detailed records to support PRI/PRX financial activities.
- Responsible for general accounting, including reconciliations and preparation of general journal entries.
- Maintains various accounting schedules to ensure accurate and timely revenue and expense recognition.
- Provides support to staff to ensure the accuracy of revenue and expense coding.
- Prepare monthly reports for business unit managers and assist them with preparation of their annual operating budgets and forecasts.
- Assist with audit preparation.
- Provide outreach and training for staff on new system and process initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Associates or Bachelors Degree Accounting
- 2-4 years of experience in accounting. Would consider a recent graduate depending on experience during internship assignments.
- Ability to collect data, establishes facts, and solves complex problems.
- Ability to identify, work with and maintain confidential materials and situations.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Highly organized; self-directed; able to handle multiple projects with the ability to develop and meet the numerous deadlines required in a finance department.
- Demonstrated team member and able to maintain effective relationships through a variety of communication platforms in various locations and with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to express independent judgment to identify opportunities and to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Ability to embrace the organization's strategic direction and goals and to consider company-wide impact when making decisions.
- Experience with accounting and budgeting software (Workday and Adaptive Insights a plus)
- Excel or Google Docs spreadsheets, Word.
- Non profit accounting
This position is based in Minneapolis, MN. Employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We're committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer.