Manager, Station Marketing & Audience Engagement
Do you love the mission and ingenuity of public radio and podcasting? If so, check out this unique marketing opening at PRI/PRX in Boston, Massachusetts.
Public radio and podcasting are at a moment of tremendous change and promise. PRI/PRX is at the epicenter of the audio revolution, bridging broadcast, digital and mobile with a portfolio of exceptional programs including PRI’s The World, The Takeaway, Reveal, The Moth Radio Hour, This American Life and the Radiotopia podcast network.
The PRI/PRX Station Marketing & Audience Engagement Manager will work in partnership with the distribution team on effective station strategies to help grow audience, revenue, engagement, and impact. These strategies will be implemented by developing excellent relationships with public radio stations and managing station marketing efforts for all PRI/PRX nationally distributed programs and series.
To be successful in this role, you will build and maintain cooperative and consultative relationships between PRI/PRX and public radio entities, including social media teams; marketing and public relations directors; newsletter and program guide editors, and others. We’re looking for someone who is motivated to build strong continuity between PRI/PRX and its station partners to support our program portfolio with regular and consistent follow-up; excellent communications; and a drive to make PRI/PRX station partners their number one priority.
As part of the national marketing team for PRI/PRX, the station marketing & audience engagement manager will help grow audience, revenue, engagement, and impact by developing, implementing, tracking and optimizing PRI/PRX marketing efforts across distribution platforms. Another critical element of the position is to become a strong partner to the national sales team to ensure that nuances of station communications are delivered along with timely communication that aligns with both the sales and marketing needs.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships by handling questions and concerns of station partners with speed and professionalism; advise partners on best practices; talent availability; new assets supporting PRI/PRX portfolio of programs; upcoming episodes or specials that may resonate with their community; and latest technology news and support offered through PRI/PRX.
- Develop key messaging about the PRI/PRX broadcast portfolio and work collaboratively with the PRI/PRX sales team to establish campaign messaging, goals and timeline
- Understand how best to prioritize numerous issues of varying severity and resolve issues within accepted service levels.
- Build out database with important data and information about stations across the public radio system; identify trends or areas of concern with peers and management.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on the PRI/PRX portfolio and ways in which PRI/PRX station partners use it.
- Station ambassador on behalf of PRI/PRX; communicating with station staff across teams
- Establish a tracking system for how stations are using PRI/PRX products and content; build out KPIs to help identify how PRI/PRX is doing and impact of our work and portfolio on small, medium and larger public radio stations.
- Working with the CMO, explore the current intranet system and work on a possible redesign based on station partner needs.
- Develop and implement exceptional online and offline marketing campaigns geared toward national station partner needs, integrate email, social media, websites, brand awareness and station loyalty program
- Brainstorm, prototype, and test new and creative station strategies.
- Provide thought leadership and perspective for adoption where appropriate.
Education & Experience:
- BS/BA degree with a concentration in Marketing and Communications; media background preferred.
- At least 6-8 years proven work experience in client relations and marketing
- Understanding of and appreciation for the public media and podcasting industry and excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent project management skills required.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and able to meet deadlines and pivot as needed.
Skills & Knowledge:
- You consider tact, diplomacy, patience and persistence as some of your key strengths; as is your desire to help others – internally and externally.
- Experience with or knowledge of public media and local stations a plus.
- Demonstrable experience leading and managing marketing database, email, social media, engagement and/or promotion campaigns.
- Highly creative with experience in building out audiences in targeted markets and devising multi-platform campaigns that engage, inform and motivate and lead to station partners extending campaigns within their local communities.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and data-driven thinking; ability to work effectively under pressure.
- A “can-do” attitude with excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with public media station partners
- A love of public radio and podcasting.
This position is based in Boston. PRX employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a 401k retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
Our Commitment To Diversity:
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We're committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.
PRX is an equal opportunity employer.