PRX Podcast Garage Internship - June 2018 (Allston, MA)
PRX opened the PRX Podcast Garage in August 2016 as a space for audio storytellers of all experience levels to record, learn, and connect with one another. Located on Western Ave. in Allston, a 20-minute walk from Harvard Square, the PRX Podcast Garage is the city’s first community podcasting studio and classroom. We run a professional recording studio and host talks, trainings, live shows, and much more. We have ambitious goals to expand and evolve this year. Your role will be pivotal in reaching those goals as well as new voices in the podcasting community.
As an intern at the PRX Podcast Garage, you will play a key role in our programming and operations. We are a unique space in the audio world and this internship is too. The PRX Podcast Garage has only one full-time staff member, so you will be a critical part of the day-to-day operations of the space. It is also customer-focused — as a professional recording studio, we have people coming and going throughout the day — so you must be comfortable talking to strangers and providing excellent hospitality on a daily basis. Finally, we are an experimental organization where new ideas come up and change happens quickly. You must be flexible and excited to contribute to that change.
Our previous interns say:
“This internship is a little of everything: it’s event planning, it’s marketing and communications, and it’s community outreach. But most of all, it’s an excuse to talk about audio all day. As the intern, you’ll be a partner in crime on all these projects. It’s a fun place to work and the Garage’s full-time staff is welcoming, knowledgeable, and occasionally funny. I’ll cherish my time at the Garage.”
“I found that this internship is really what you make of it. I gained experience in everything from programming events to manning the studio mixer. I was able to attend events, workshops, and all the great things the Garage has to offer. Plus, the Garage network is unique in that you meet people from PRX and the Boston audio community. Alex is amazing - she grants you the space to take the lead on projects, which I really appreciated.”
Please submit your application below by Friday, April 27 at 5 p.m. ET and email your questions to [email protected].
- Work with Community Manager to coordinate programming and events, including: scheduling, speakers, marketing, and logistics
- Lead setup and breakdown of all events
MARKETING & OUTREACH:
- Create and share social media content for PRX Podcast Garage
- Compose and send email marketing campaigns with MailChimp
- Update our website on Squarespace
- Communicate with members and develop community partners
- Assist with keeping the space clean and organized
- Greet guests and orient them to the space
- Start and wrap-up recording sessions in the studio
- Respond to email inquiries to the PRX Podcast Garage
- Answer phones at the PRX Podcast Garage
- You can work on location three to four days a week, including some evenings and weekends, at the PRX Podcast Garage in Allston, MA
- You are a natural when it comes to hospitality and/or you have experience working in customer service (yay coffee shops!)
- You have experience designing or supporting events
- You can use or learn communication tools like MailChimp, Squarespace, Slack, and social media
- You are flexible and excited about working in an experimental environment
- You are passionate about podcasting as a fan or producer
This is a 15 hour/week position that will be paid hourly.
Other perks include:
- Free admission to events and workshops at PRX Podcast Garage and PRX
- Access to a professional recording studio
The internship will start by June 1, 2018 with a flexible end date. A commitment of 6 months is ideal.