Part-time Contract Producer with Radiotopia's Ear Hustle
PRX seeks a part-time contract producer to support the production of Radiotopia's Ear Hustle, starting in early 2019. This person will work closely with the team and specifically with Earlonne Woods, whose 31 years-to-life prison sentence was recently commuted, to explore stories of his and others' re-entry into American society. This position will be based in Emeryville, CA, but will also include days spent (2-4 per month) with the Ear Hustle team in San Quentin State Prison, working on various stories inside.
Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. Starting with season four in 2019, the podcast will also produce stories outside prison, exploring the challenges and rewards of re-entry into American society, post-incarceration.This award-winning podcast is a partnership between Nigel Poor, a Bay Area visual artist and Earlonne Woods, formerly incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison.
Originally crowned as the winner of Radiotopia's Podquest contest in 2016, beating out more than 1,500 international entries, Ear Hustle is currently at 21.5M downloads and has been critically-acclaimed by top press including the the New York Times Magazine, PBS Newshour, CBS Sunday Morning, NPR's All Things Considered, and Rolling Stone.
- Work alongside Earlonne, three full days per week, out of our office in Emeryville, CA
- Work with the team on developing story ideas around re-entry into society, through the lens of Earlonne’s experience
- Assist Earlonne in researching, reporting and editing stories of others' re-entry
- Work with the team on integrating these stories into episodes, alongside the stories being produced inside San Quentin
- Provide production support inside San Quentin State Prison, 2-4 times per month or as needed
- Support the team in script and story development
- Guide content edits of raw tape gathered on the outside
- Along with Ear Hustle staff, work with Earlonne on basic mixing and mastering skills
- Assist Ear Hustle hosts Nigel and Earlonne with tracking narration on the outside
- Participate in larger planning and weekly story meetings
- Assist with Ear Hustle public events as needed
We're looking for someone with considerable experience reporting in the field, strong narrative chops, an appreciation for creativity and flexibility in new production environments. This is a six month contract with the possibility of extending and increasing in hours. The job is located in the Bay area and cannot be done remotely.
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
This role is a part time contract position and does not come with employee benefits at this time.